Low Cost 10G Router

William Waites wwaites at tardis.ed.ac.uk
Thu May 21 08:22:48 UTC 2015

    > BGP is still atrocious on the CCRs, but that's because the route
    > update process isn't multithreaded.

I recently took a close look at this, and that the update process is
single-threaded is not the major problem so long as churn is not too
great. The problem is that due to a deeper problem the entire
forwarding table needs to be recalculated for *each* update. This
means that even with the usual background noise in the DFZ the daemon
is constantly updating everything. There are other bugs as well such
as not supporting recursive next hop (e.g. via OSPF) lookup for IPv6
which means that if you have any iBGP sessions and more than one
internal path you're out of luck with no obvious workaround.

The stock answer from Mikrotik is that "everything will be fixed in
the next major release of the OS". When that happens, and how long it
takes to shake out the inevitable new bugs is an open
question. Personally I give it at least a year before we would even
try to use these seriously for BGP. Until then, it's FreeBSD and
BIRD.

Best,
-w
--
William Waites <wwaites at tardis.ed.ac.uk>  |  School of Informatics
   http://tardis.ed.ac.uk/~wwaites/       | University of Edinburgh

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.