Thousands of hosts on a gigabit LAN, maybe not

charles at thefnf.org charles at thefnf.org
Sun May 10 03:04:55 UTC 2015

On 2015-05-09 11:57, Baldur Norddahl wrote:
> The standard 48 port with 2 port uplink 1U switch is far from full
> depth.
> You put them in the back of the rack and have the small computers in
> the
> front. You might even turn the switches around, so the ports face
> inwards
> into the rack. The network cables would be very short and go directly
> from
> the mini computers (Raspberry Pi?) to the switch, all within the one
> unit
> shelf.

Yes this.

I presumed ras pi, but those don't have gigabit Ethernet.

Then I realized:  http://www.parallella.org/ (I've got one of these
sitting on my standby shelf to be racked, which is what made me think of
it).

To the OP please do tell us more about what you are doing, it sounds
very interesting.