Rasberry pi - high density

Tim Raphael raphael.timothy at gmail.com
Sat May 9 05:48:49 UTC 2015

The problem is, I can get more processing power and RAM out of two 10RU blade chassis and only needing 64 10G ports...

32 x 256GB RAM per blade = 8.1TB
32 x 16 cores x 2.4GHz = 1,228GHz
(not based on current highest possible, just using reasonable specs)

Needing only 4 QFX5100s which will cost less than a populated 6513 and give lower latency. Power, cooling and cost would be lower too.

RPi = 900MHz and 1GB RAM. So to equal the two chassis, you'll need:

1228 / 0.9 = 1364 Pis for compute (main performance aspect of a super computer) meaning double the physical space required compared to the chassis option.

So yes, infeasible indeed.

Regards,

Tim Raphael