Thousands of hosts on a gigabit LAN, maybe not

Rafael Possamai rafael at gav.ufsc.br
Fri May 8 19:26:54 UTC 2015

- The more switches a packet has to go through, the higher the latency, so
your response times may deteriorate if you cascade too many switches.
Legend says up to 4 is a good number, any further you risk creating a big
mess.

- The more switches you add, the higher your bandwidth utilized by
broadcasts in the same subnet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_radiation

- If you have only one connection between each switch, each switch is going
to be limited to that rate (1gbps in this case), possibly creating a
bottleneck depending on your application and how exactly it behaves.
Consider aggregating uplinks.

- Bundling too many Ethernet cables will cause interference (cross-talk),
so keep that in mind. I'd purchase F/S/FTP cables and the like.

Here I am going off on a tangent: if your friends want to build a "super
computer" then there's a way to calculate the most "efficient" number of
nodes given your constraints (e.g. linear optimization). This could save
you time, money and headaches. An example: maximize the number of TFLOPS
while minimizing number of nodes (i.e. number of switch ports). Just a
quick thought.