Thousands of hosts on a gigabit LAN, maybe not

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri May 8 19:26:16 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 11:53 AM, John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:
> Some people I know (yes really) are building a system that will have
> several thousand little computers in some racks.

Very cool-ly crazy.

> Each of the
> computers runs Linux and has a gigabit ethernet interface.  It occurs
> to me that it is unlikely that I can buy an ethernet switch with
> thousands of ports, and even if I could, would I want a Linux system
> to have 10,000 entries or more in its ARP table.

Agreed. :) You don't really want 10,000 entries in a routing FIB
table either, but I was seriously encouraged by the work going
on in linux 4.0 and 4.1 to improve those lookups.

https://netdev01.org/docs/duyck-fib-trie.pdf

I'd love to know the actual scalability of some modern
routing protocols (isis, babel, ospfv3, olsrv2, rpl) with that
many nodes too....

> Most of the traffic will be from one node to another, with
> considerably less to the outside.  Physical distance shouldn't be a
> problem since everything's in the same room, maybe the same rack.

That is an awful lot of ports to fit in a rack (48 ports, 36 2U slots
in the rack (and is that too high?) = 1728
ports) A thought is you could make it meshier using multiple
interfaces per tiny linux box? Put, say
3-6 interfaces and have a very few switches interconnecting given
clusters (and multiple paths
to each switch). That would reduce your arp table (and fib table) by a
lot at the cost of adding
hops...

> What's the rule of thumb for number of hosts per switch, cascaded
> switches vs. routers, and whatever else one needs to design a dense
> network like this?  TIA

max per vlan 4096. Still a lot.

Another approach might be max density on a switch (48?) per cluster,
routed (not switched) 10GigE
to another 10GigE+ switch.

I'd love to know the rule of thumbs here also, I imagine some rules
must exist for those in the VM
or VXLAN worlds.

--
Dave Täht
Open Networking needs **Open Source Hardware**

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+EricRaymond/posts/JqxCe2pFr67