IP DSCP across the Internet

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu May 7 09:32:52 UTC 2015

On Wed, 6 May 2015, Mark Tinka wrote:

> With color-aware policing toward a customer in Uganda, any traffic
> coming from that peer in South Africa was getting dropped toward that
> customer in Uganda. After a very odd sequence of troubleshooting events,
> we found that the AF DSCP alues being set by the peer in South Africa
> (and us passing them due to the old kit not being able to remark on
> ingress) was causing the color-aware policer in Uganda to drop traffic
> toward the customer there.

I have heard similar stories where game traffic ended up in a 100
kilobit/s VoIP queue which worked fine until there were a lot of nearby
players in the game, then things started working very badly. Also nice
corner case :P

So yes, setting all external Internet traffic to DSCP=BE (0) is something
one wants to do.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se