link avoidance

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Thu May 7 00:28:43 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 6:41 PM, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at> wrote:
> On 5/6/2015 3:56 PM, Randy Bush wrote:

> I don't think it is common, but I have a microwave network made up of a
> combination of license-free links and amateur radio band links (where no
> commercial traffic is permitted). For now the ham-band links are stubs, so

Are such Ham links actually of any real use, since encoded traffic
such as SSH/SSL
would be verboten,  due to  Part97 rules against  transmitting any
message encoded
in order to obscure the message?

Also,  with general network traffic..

If someone wants to request a Google search.   There is no way of a router
knowing if the requestor  is sending the packet  for a commercial purpose or
for  a non-pecuniary  allowed usage,  until  TCP gets some new packet fields...

You can be visiting  somepizzaplace.example.com,  And it's  non-commercial
allowed use,  if you're ordering a pizza for personal consumption,  But
those same packets are prohibited pecuniary use,  if  sending those packets to
order a pizza  to share with a business client.

> that's easy. But we're looking at using MPLS with link coloring so that as

Perhaps a browser plugin  to add a 'Selection' dropdown for each Web Browser Tab
and have  a RESTful  API to  send  connection information from the client
to an Openflow controller   for deciding which forwarding label to
push at ingress.

--
-JH