IP DSCP across the Internet

Tim Jackson jackson.tim at gmail.com
Wed May 6 01:35:03 UTC 2015

In general there are very few bad actors here in regards to
trusting/accepting/using DSCP across the internet.

Apple has a tendency to mark some traffic with EF that shouldn't be EF on
PNIs, and Cogent leaks a lot of their internal markings into customers, but
it's generally unmarked traffic from certain customers/peers. Other than
that IMHO it's totally valid to accept, and nobody abuses it (other than
those 2).

We accept DSCP from the internet and do queue a few things higher towards
customers for things like OTT VoIP etc.

Remarking DSCP is bad IMHO, trusting it is another thing. You just have to
be careful, and I suggest good netflow tools to keep an eye on it.