yarr - Yet Another Route Server Implementation [WAS: Euro-IX quagga stable download and implementation]

Thomas King thomas.m.king at gmail.com
Tue May 5 21:43:49 UTC 2015

Hi Sebastian,

I highly support your idea!

Almost all large IXPs switched to bird. As we know from different route
server studies almost 1/3 of the traffic handled by IXPs is managed by
route servers. This shows that route servers play an important role in the
IXP ecosystem. So, depending on only one implementation comes with a lot of
operational risks at least.

The beauty of your suggestion is that a route server that is just that (and
not a routing daemon with many unneeded features as bird or quagga). This
could limit the complexity of the source code which means the effort needed
to maintain the code should be a lot smaller compared to bird/quagga.

I see no reason why there is not enough room for at least one or two more
route server implementations besides bird.

Best regards,
Thomas (with no hat on -> my personal opinion)