BCOP appeals numbering scheme -- feedback requested

Lee Howard Lee at asgard.org
Sun Mar 15 15:40:27 UTC 2015

On 3/13/15 5:14 PM, "mel at becknet.com" <mel at becknet.com> wrote:

>Lee,
>
>On the contrary, I think RFCs are pretty consistent about always
>referring you to any superseding RFCs, and superseding RFCs reference
>their predecessors, creating a very useful historical doubly-linked list.
>I've served on IEEE committees that follow a decimal/alpha/french
>numbering system, in which it is very hard to track the history of a
>standard.
>
>RFCs, on the other hand, tend to be concisely written and well annotated
>with background materials. What's more, RFCxxxx makes an excellent unique
>internet-global search term.
>
>You've made the assertion that RFC numbering is terrible.  Can you
>provide some examples?

The canonical version of the RFC is the plain text version.
So here's RFC6204:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6204.txt
No notes about being obsolete.

If you want, you can find two other versions officially published, the
"tools version" and the "datatracker version":
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6204
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc6204/
Both of those tell you that this RFC has been obsoleted by RFC7084.

But here's one: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc791
Let's say I want to implement this protocol.  Looks pretty
straightforward, once I've read the errata and the three RFCs that
obsolete it.
The first of those three is RFC1349, which also has been obsoleted by
RFC2474, which in turn has been obsoleted by RFC3168 and RFC3260, the
first of which is obsoleted by RFC4301 and RFC6040.  I didn't follow the
other chains of obsoleting documents.  How many documents do I have to
read if I want to implement this protocol?

Ha, ha, you say, nobody's trying to write an IP implementation from
scratch. Au contraire, IPv6 is defined in
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2460, which lists nine RFCs updating it,
plus errata.

And while I agree with you that "RFC2460" is an easy, unique search term,
it isn't exactly memorable. "I need to write an IPv6 stack for my new
ThingOS; what do I need to read?"  And one of my least favorite comments
at the mic at IETF is, "Have you even read RFC6214?" [1] Because the
author is standing there with no way to look up what that particular
number means.

I know, I should really be having this rant in the RFC evolution WG, or
with the RFC editor. It just came up here, and I want BCOP to make
different mistakes on useful documents.

Lee

[1] I included this reference in an RFI, to catch vendors who were only
cutting and pasting marketing materials.