Phone adapter with router

Aled Morris aledm at qix.co.uk
Wed Mar 11 11:04:19 UTC 2015

On 11 March 2015 at 10:45, Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> wrote:

> On 11/03/2015 10:02, Baldur Norddahl wrote:
> > It should be possible to do the emergency call without a SIM. That way
> you
> > got 112 / 911 calls covered...
>
> emergency calls without sim are part of the gsm standard.  So unless the
> OP's provider is doing something terribly wrong and probably illegal, you
> can make a 112 call on any mobile device anywhere in the world within range
> of a compatible radio signal.

Can't find a definitive reference but this concurs with my recollection of
a policy introduced in 2009:

http://www.redcross.org.uk/en/What-we-do/Teaching-resources/Quick-activities/999

Some people think that 999 calls can be made from a phone without a SIM. In
fact,  because of the high number of hoax calls, the United Kingdom decided
to block emergency calls from mobile phones without a SIM card.

Aled