symmetric vs. asymmetric [was: Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality]

N. Max Pierson nmaxpierson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 04:50:32 UTC 2015

I don't usually chime in on the list, but since this seems to be another
hot item, i'll pitch in my $0.005 (since the $$ has been going up these
days).

IIRC the entire reason we have asymmetry to begin with is because it was
created to resolve an issue with older ADSL hardware. I believe the reason
it gave such great benefits at the time of faster downloads while not so
good downloads is because simply of the power used in each direction (it
takes more power to send than receive delivering farther distances, etc).
So in this sense, telecoms decided that if you wanted to use both sides of
your connection, you're a "Business Class" user that needed to upload
something with download like speeds. Then as cable operators see the
telecom vendors charge for it in this very fashion, they decide it's a
great idea to charge for it so that they can stay "competitive" (cable also
had these issues but have long since been resolved).

So it would seem that there ARE legitimate complaints from those who do not
want to be in a "Business Class" service just because they want to have the
ability to upload content just as they download content. Regardless of the
amount, this is something that has been complained about for quite a long
time.

Times have changed, infrastructure _should_ be upgraded by now for major
transport operators, Tier-1/2 carriers, all the way down to last mile (i
realize many rural places being worked on). Asymmetry needs to die just
like the equipment will, thus the non-sense charges, etc.

The only ones still fighting for asymmetry in this conversation are the
ones that stand to make money from it. Technical perspective says this is a
non-issue and symmetry is how it works by default anywhere inside of
"Business Class".

max