CDNs for carriers

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 14:16:01 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 9:59 AM, Mike Hammett <nanog at ics-il.net> wrote:
> Simple flows wouldn't necessarily tell you if you're pulling a bunch from a Netflix caching box on your upstream somewhere. You'd think you had a huge amount going to your current upstream because technically you do, but a local cache or peer could alter that significantly.

probably dns and flow gets you some more traction, right?
meaning: "gosh 1.2.3.0/26 is sending us LOTS of traffic... oh:
nslookup 1.2.3.4 == hosta.networkb.netflix.com, ah-ha!"

where ptr records are generated I suppose like:
$ host 63.88.73.108
108.73.88.63.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer
108.73.88.63.ashburn.google-ggc.verizon.com.

Also, often just port/protocol are helpful enough... you won't know
without looking (at the OP's traffic I mean), which it sounds like
hasn't really been done yet?