How long will it take to completely get rid of IPv4 or will it happen at all?

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Jun 29 08:14:05 UTC 2015

Hi,

> I just ran a tcpdump looking for NTP packets going to 128.173.14.71.  In 90
> minutes, I got hits from 330 unique IP addresses, including some that were
> chatty enough to indicate there were dozens of hosts behind a NAT.

ah yes. the joy of the usual 2 scenarios

1) your IP got used in some random equipment config/firmware

2) your IP got used in some documentation rather than using one the official IPv4 documentation
address space

the last scenario is the IP address was used in some long ago post or blog that google helps
unearth whenever anyone asks for NTP.

we had the same for DNS.....learnt that lesson  :/

>without bothering to sanity check if a clock is still usable....

THAT is the scary part.....they're not even checking its working....
(at least their kit wont crash and burn at the leap second if it hasnt got working NTP ;-)  !)

alan