ARIN just subdivided their last /17, /18, /19, /20, /21 and /22. Down to only /23s and /24s now. : ipv6

Donald Eastlake d3e3e3 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 17:35:13 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 1:23 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon at orthanc.ca> wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2015, at 5:35 AM, Rafael Possamai <rafael at gav.ufsc.br> wrote:
>
> > How long do you think it will take to completely get rid of IPv4? Or is it
> > even going to happen at all?
>
> IPX ruled the roost, very popularly, for a little while.  How long did it take to die?  Why did it die?  What were the triggers that pushed it over the cliff?  I think there's a lot to be learned from that piece of recent history.  Specifically, as a demonstration of how a "most popular" protocol can find itself ejected from the arena in the blink of an eye.  I knew several people who built their career path on the assumptions of IPX.  Ouch.

There are reasonable arguments that IPX was better than IPv4 but IPv4
had all the mind share as the standard and IPX was the proprietary
alternative. So everyone switched but more than a few were not happy
afterward when the noticed the features they had lost.

Thanks,
Donald
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 d3e3e3 at gmail.com