RE: World's Fastest Internet™ in Canadaland

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sat Jun 27 02:51:16 UTC 2015

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015, Paul Stewart wrote:

> The interesting part was that the development consisted of 4400 active
> users the last time I heard but the bandwidth to upstream provider was
> still only a single GigE and was not hitting serious saturation levels
> most of the time.

I'd say for any kind of serious FTTH deployment, peak hour average user
will be around 0.5 - 2 megabit/s, so if you actually want a user who buys
100/100 to be able to use that at peak hour, you're looking at an
oversubscription factor of around 1/10th of the above, ie around 500
users on a gigabit ethernet uplink.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se