Re: World's Fastest Internet™ in Canadaland

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Jun 26 21:48:07 UTC 2015

The issue here is economics.  1G hardware is cheap, as in sub-$100 for
a 1G CPE with SMF in one side and RJ45 out the other.

Even if you decide to limit yourself at 100m or similar, if you build it at the
optics side, it is more expensive than building at 1G.

Because of this, 1G is the most sensible speed/solution.

I believe that many people won’t get a real quantity of usage from their
links because they will be on 2.4ghz wifi regardless.  If you have your
home wired, you might get something faster but the largest users these days
tend to be adaptive streaming video which uses around 16Mb/s for a 4K stream
from Netflix, or software updates from Apple.

Speaking of which, since 8.4 is launching next week and tends to be
one of the larger internet events these days (more so than victoria secret
turned out to be by ratio) I’m awaiting a surge of software updates
for all the iDevices around the world.

- Jared