Re: World's Fastest Internet™ in Canadaland

Andy Ringsmuth andy at newslink.com
Fri Jun 26 21:36:34 UTC 2015

> On Jun 26, 2015, at 4:01 PM, Mike Hammett <nanog at ics-il.net> wrote:
>
> Some of those are why would one EVER need more than X, while others are why would one NOW need more than X. Big difference. Simple fact that there is no residential application that needs more than even 50 megabit much less 10,000 megabit.

Oh sure there is. What happens when you use Carbonite or one of the other online backup services and needed a full restore? I bet the average home user, considering one to three or four PCs, could easily have a few terabytes of data. A 500G disk dies and you restore a backup. Bingo, you’re pegging the meter for quite a while.

Or even routine backups. On my Mac, after an average day at the office, my Time Machine backup runs anywhere from 1 to 10 gigabytes. If I were to run a Carbonite-type backup when I got home, that’s a substantial chunk.

-Andy