World's Fastest Internet™ in Canadaland

Stephen Satchell list at satchell.net
Fri Jun 26 19:59:45 UTC 2015

On 06/26/2015 12:03 PM, Paul Stewart wrote:
> Personally I think it's pure marketing ... something I think we all
> know...
>
> I seen a few years back a FTTH development get completed using GPON -
> everything in the area got "Full Gig Internet".  Speedtest while I
> was onsite showed about 900Mb/s download so pretty darn close (before
> they fully deployed).
>
> The interesting part was that the development consisted of 4400
> active users the last time I heard but the bandwidth to upstream
> provider was still only a single GigE and was not hitting serious
> saturation levels most of the time.

I have worked on server room networking, and found that it takes quite a
bit of tweaking of the interfaces and the TCP stack to get things up to
80 percent usage of a gigabit link.  Both ends.  So your side can go
like the wind, but your data source may not be able to fill the pipe.
So I agree that, for most people, this will be pure marketing hype.

As for the 4400 users, that's the classical oversubscription model.