REMINDER: LEAP SECOND

Tore Anderson tore at fud.no
Fri Jun 26 05:42:29 UTC 2015

* Stefan Schlesinger <sts at ono.at>

> > On 25 Jun 2015, at 03:14, Damian Menscher via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> wrote:
> >
> > http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/time-technology-and-leaping-seconds.html
> > comes dangerously close to your modest proposal.
>
> I wonder why Google hasn't published the patch yet. Leap smear sounds
> like the sane way to do leap seconds, and it would't break software
> at all, because time adjustments in the sub-second area are proven to
> work quite well.

It's implemented in chronyd versions 2.0 and up, for what it's worth.
The required config directive is "leapsecmode slew".

There's a nice blog post explaining how this feature, as well as some
other approaches on how to deal with the leap second, work here:

http://developerblog.redhat.com/2015/06/01/five-different-ways-handle-leap-seconds-ntp/

Tore