Residential VSAT experiences?

Tim Franklin tim at pelican.org
Tue Jun 23 08:44:40 UTC 2015

> Interesting that you say that about sip. We had a client that would use it
> for sip on ships all the time. It wasn't the best but it worked. Ping times
> were between 500-700ms.

It really depends on your expectations - or more to the point, your end-users' expectations.

I've tested SIP in the lab up to 2000ms RTT.  The protocols all hang together and keep working, but it's obviously very much in walkie-talkie mode, you can't hold a normal duplex conversation.  500ms there's more of the talking over each other / "sorry, you go" / "no, you go" dance, but it *is* workable.  If your end-user is expecting land-line replacement though...

Regards,
Tim.