Fwd: Residential VSAT experiences?

Alfred Olton alfredolton at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 00:18:03 UTC 2015

I had Hughes Net a few years back and can confirm that SSH access was
pretty much intolerable for me.
The delay between what I was typing, and when it would actually show up on
the screen in the remote terminal was really annoying for me.
As mentioned in previous responses, I think you would want a low orbit
satellite internet provider, if you can find one for residential use.

In my case, I had a land line, but was too far out for ADSL, so I ended up
getting ISDN (*with unlimited local calling on my phone plan*).
Of course the SSH usage experience then was much better.

Al

On 06/22/2015 04:04 PM, Hugo Slabbert wrote:> Personally, 500-700ms of
delay is well within distinguishable range and