Residential VSAT experiences?

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Tue Jun 23 00:27:09 UTC 2015

--- bill at herrin.us wrote:
From: William Herrin <bill at herrin.us>

Two-way satellite systems based on SV's in geostationary orbit (like
the two you're considering) have high latency. 22,000 miles out,
another 22,000 miles back and do it again for the return packet.
You'll start around 500ms latency and go up from there. Any kind of
interactive session (like SSH and RDP) will be excruciating.

I do SSH over geostationary satellite links (C-band) all
the time.  I'd say it's slow, but not excruciating, unless
you type really fast on the network device's CLI.  :-)

scott