Residential VSAT experiences?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Jun 22 22:11:38 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 4:39 PM, Nicholas Oas <nicholas.oas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Would anyone mind sharing with me their first-hand experiences with
> residential satellite internet?

Hi Nicholas,

Two-way satellite systems based on SV's in geostationary orbit (like
the two you're considering) have high latency. 22,000 miles out,
another 22,000 miles back and do it again for the return packet.
You'll start around 500ms latency and go up from there. Any kind of
interactive session (like SSH and RDP) will be excruciating.

I'm not aware of any low earth orbit systems providing residential
Internet. Iridium tries to but the bandwidth is pathetic (2400bps or
so). LEO vehicles are only 500-1000 miles up. Latency is high compared
to wireline systems but within usable bounds for interactive sessions.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us