Whats' a good product for a high-density Wireless network setup?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Sun Jun 21 11:40:29 UTC 2015

> On Jun 21, 2015, at 1:28 AM, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
>
>> My understanding is that the most recent NANOG had issues with clients
>> picking channels sequentially vs by signal strength. There may have
>> been other issues but when all devices use 149 because that's the
>> first they can and they get link that's not good.
>
> we're lucky those mean vicious bad clients don't also come to ietf,
> wwdc, crisco live, ...  oh wait …

I’ll say the difference about IETF is a lot more planning goes into it.
The people are on-site much earlier than for a NANOG and there are
few last minute rushes.

While there are larger plenary meetings at IETF, most are in smaller
rooms but are packed with chairs and laptops/devices.

> you are blaming the customer as if you worked for a telco.  oh wait ...
> :)

Duh.  Always blame the customer, step 1 success.
step2 (vendor/cisco tac): have you tried turning it on and off again?
step3 maybe it’s fixed in the latest code

>> If people know of tricks to solve this when there are 600-1000 devices
>> per room i am certain the NANOG eng team would love to know about it.
>
> clue: with 600-1000 geeks there are gonna be 2k-4k devices.

Yup.  This is a given.

- Jared