Whats' a good product for a high-density Wireless network setup?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Jun 20 01:17:46 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 1:57 AM, Sina Owolabi <notify.sina at gmail.com> wrote:
> We are profiling equipment and design for an expected high user density
> network of multiple, close nit, residential/hostel units. Its going to be
> 8-10 buildings with possibly a over 1000 users at any given time.

Hi Sina,

Quick terminology note: "high density" means you want 500+ users in a
conference hall. That's a very different solution space than 1000
users spread across 8 buildings.

High density solutions are concerned with many nodes not stomping on
each other in a small space as users wander about. Yet cables
connecting all the access points together are short and cheap.

Your situation is different. With users spread out, you have less of a
signal stomping problem and more of a signal reach problem through
various construction materials. Cross-building connections are
expensive and few enough users wander between buildings to need to
maintain their IP address when they do.

If you ask your vendors to show you high-density solutions you may not
get what you're looking for.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us