Anycast provider for SMTP?

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Fri Jun 19 17:06:10 UTC 2015

> On Jun 18, 2015, at 10:19 PM, James Hartig <fastest963 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just curious, how does DNS load balancing work if people are using
> 8.8.8.8/208.67.222.222 or basically any public resolvers that cache and
> have a significant (relatively speaking) user-base? Is the actual percent
> of requests so small that it doesn't matter?

The percent of requests is significant, but OpenDNS and Google and the other significant open resolvers are, themselves, anycast, so the geographic correlation is preserved.  Also, there’s an RFC for passing an origin IP tag along to the authoritative server, but I don’t know if anyone’s actually doing anything with that on any global inter-provider scale.

                                -Bill