Ghosts in our 6 New Ubiquity Pros - provision issues.

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Fri Jun 19 13:51:30 UTC 2015

Bob,  I've deployed tons of Ubiquiti gear, and have seen this problem before. It always turns out to be poor quality cable installation. POE does not tolerate low quality connectors, especially in outdoor environments. There are many aspects to a quality cabling job, so the best thing you can do is seek out a qualified installer with outdoor POE experience.

The most common problem I see is people using crimp-on RJ45 connectors directly on the ends of their cable runs. This is not how structured cabling is designed to work, in particular because most crimp-on connectors are intended for stranded copper wire (such as that used in very flexible patch cords, designed to run horizontally over only a few dozens of feet), whereas the "riser" and "plenum" cable used for long-distance runs has solid core wires. The tiny teeth in standard crimp connectors are designed to penetrate stranded wire, to make a solid electrical contact. With solid core wire, they just bend to the side of the copper core, making tenuous contact, which will conduct POE current poorly (resulting in the resets you see) and eventually fail altogether as the improper connection corrodes over time.

The correct installation process is to use "punch-down" RJ45 jacks at each end of the cable run, and connect from those jacks to your equipment (radio at one end, POE switch at the other). On the outdoor side, the jack/plug junction needs to be in a NEMA weatherproof enclosure, with weathertight fittings. And, for human and equipment safety, you must use shielded Cat5e/6 cable anytime you go outdoors, grounding only one end (usually the radio end), and protecting the cable with an inline lightning protector between the RJ45 jack  and the radio.

If you haven't done that, then that's the first thing to fix.

BTW, avoid homemade patch cables whenever possible. Quality factory cables are hydraulically pressed and the plug is hermetically fused for a vastly superior connection compared to anything you can do with simple hand crimpers. And all outdoor cables must be UV-grade cabling with weatherproof sheathing and water repellant inside (so-called "flooded" cable).

 -mel beckman