Anycast provider for SMTP?

Mike Meredith mike.meredith at port.ac.uk
Fri Jun 19 08:39:07 UTC 2015

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 15:51:31 -0400, "Joe Abley" <jabley at hopcount.ca>
may have written:
> Since DHCP uses broadcast and multicast addresses when a client is
> discovering a server, it's not obvious why you'd have to.

And broadcast/multicast when renewing a lease (DHCPREQUEST). You will
of course see unicast addresses on the server side if the server is
seeing requests forwarded by a udp helper.

> You can run redundant sets of isc-dhcpd servers together serving the
> same broadcast domain and have them assign leases from the same
> address pools (at least, I've never tried it, but I was within

Indeed. Rock solid in my experience (on a "little" network).

--
Mike Meredith, University of Portsmouth
Principal Systems Engineer, Hostmaster, Security, and Timelord!