Anycast provider for SMTP?

Larry Sheldon larrysheldon at cox.net
Fri Jun 19 02:18:07 UTC 2015

On 6/18/2015 16:40, Jonas Björk wrote:

>>> Why wouldn't they go back to the nearest server when it comes back online?
>>
>> Been awhile, but it seems like they try to "renew" the lease they have, with the server that holds it.

> The clients speak unicast with one single ip-helper which address is shared by all the servers.
> They can't choose which ever server to talk to.

One of us is confused (and it may well be me) but I thought the
ip-helper address was only useful in the initial grope-in-the-dark for a
server that is not on the local Ethernet broadcast domain.

Thereafter the negotiations (I thought) are between the client and the
responding server and forever after until a failure-to-renew occurred.

--
sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Juvenal)