OPM Data Breach - Whitehouse Petition - Help Wanted

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Jun 18 16:58:44 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 8:54 PM, Ronald F. Guilmette
<rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:
> My apologies in advance to any here who might feel that this is off
> topic... I don't personally believe that it is.  Frankly, I don't
> know of that many mailing lists where the subscribers are likely to
> care as much about network security (and/or the lack thereof) as the
> membership of this list does.
> By now, most of you will have read about the massive federal data breach
> at the U.S. Government's Office of Personnel Management (OPM), and also
> the fact that (by OPM's own preliminary estimates) this massive data breach
> affects at least four million federal government employees...

Hi Ronald,

I'm of the opinion that the whole thing is your fault. The security
inadequacies of your network are obviously what allowed the Chinese
Super Hackers to break in with their false BGP advertisements and
source address spoofing.

Well, maybe not, but just imagine if that was true: your post would be
on-topic for the mailing list!

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us