Anycast provider for SMTP?

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 08:22:51 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 4:13 AM, Kurt Kraut via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> wrote:
> Ray,
>

> "Anycast is generally not well-suited for stateful connectivity (e.g. most
> things TCP)."
>
> I don't know anything that would support that claim. I have been using for
> years BGP anycast for audio and video streaming, always in TCP (RTMP, HLS,
> WMS, and even the good and old ShoutCast) and works like a charm. And this
> is the 'secret sauce' of the company I work for, the thing we do better
> than our competitors that make our users happy and never wanting to leave
> us: anycast.
>
> We have customers that are TV stations and stream 24x7x365 their content
> and they have watchers getting their streaming also 24x7x365 (like waiting
> rooms, airports) with no complaints or instability.

most of this conversation is a distraction from the OP's question
though... since his core problem is: "Broken mta behaviour" and won't
really be solved with anycast/etc.

TCP anycast seems to work just fine, agreed.
UDP anycast seems to work just fine, agreed.

any anycast deployment has it's warts, understanding that and them
will make operations and services smoother.