Anycast provider for SMTP?

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Wed Jun 17 21:27:53 UTC 2015

On Jun 17, 2015, at 17:15, Chuck Church <chuckchurch at gmail.com> wrote:

>> As such, you typically only see it leveraged for simple services (e.g. DNS, NTP).
>
> I've been thinking about this for NTP.  Wouldn't you end up with constant corrections with NTP and Anycast?

I am not a time geek, but the general and consistent advice I have
heard from actual such geeks is, as you suspected, not to use anycast
to distribute NTP service.

I imagine that advice could be modified somewhat if you differentiate
between NTP as used within a mesh of well-synchronised clocks and NTP
as an occasional service for mobile clients that require only a loose
sense of now. The latter seems like availability might be more
important than stability over an extended period, so anycast might
make sense there.

Joe