Anycast provider for SMTP?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Jun 15 18:09:11 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 1:50 PM, Joe Hamelin <joe at nethead.com> wrote:
>   My solution will be to place a load balancer in a hosting site
> (virtual, of course) and have it provide HA.  But what about HA for the
> LB?  At first glance anycasting would seem to be a great idea but there is
> a problem of broken sessions when routes change.
>
> Have any of you seen something like this work in the wild?

Anycast + TCP = much pain, for reasons which should be obvious. It's
on the near side of impossible, but the far side of impractical. You'd
spend a lot of money with some high-price software developers getting
it to work.

> I have a mail system where there are two MX hosts, one in the US and one in
> Europe.  Both have a DNS MX record metric of 10 so a bastardized
> round-robin takes place.  This does not work so well when one site goes
> down.

Not sure why you'd have problems with this since it's a primary
operating mode that SMTP was explicitly designed for. Can you
elaborate on the kinds of trouble you've experienced?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us