Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 10:30:29 UTC 2015

On 13 June 2015 at 09:11, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jun 2015, Baldur Norddahl wrote:
>
>  Can someone explain to me how Android uses SLAAC to implement tethering?
>>

> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7278
>
> --

I have not read it in detail, but correct me if I am wrong, that stuff will
NOT work while the phone is on wifi.

Quote:

"

As [RFC6459 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6459>] describes, the
3GPP-network-assigned /64 is completely
    dedicated to the UE and the gateway does not consume any of the /64
    addresses.  The gateway routes the entire /64 to the UE and does not
    perform ND or Neighbor Unreachability Detection (NUD) [RFC4861
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4861>].
    Communication between the UE and the gateway is only done using
    link-local addresses and the link is point-to-point.

"

It is like a DHCP-PD of a /64 to the phone.

I fail to see what relevance that has to a phone supporting DHCP on a Wifi
or LAN link.

Except of course that it should make it trivial for Android to support
DHCP-PD. They already have a system that can consume a /64 from a prefix
delegation and use that for both applications on the phone and for
tethering (does tethering while on Wifi make sense? - it is possible using
bluetooth to a laptop).

Regards,

Baldur