Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jun 12 21:59:23 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 1:33 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
> The core bits of what I don't understand about the flamage is how hard
> would it be for an end-user - or corporate client - to just add any of
> these functionalities to this, cyanogenmod, etc.

Hi Dave,

Tough to say. The Feat implementation of OpenVPN claims to work on
android without root. OpenVPN would have to hook in to most of the
same places in the network stack that a DHCPv6 implementation would.
On the other hand, they seem to have trouble with it breaking for each
new version of android, and other implementations of OpenVPN do
require root.

Certainly having to root or flash your android device to get DHCPv6
would reasonably be considered "hard."

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us