Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

Laszlo Hanyecz laszlo at heliacal.net
Thu Jun 11 23:42:07 UTC 2015

Lorzenzo is probably not going to post anymore because of this.

It looks to me like Lorenzo wants the same thing as most everyone here, aside from the university net nazis, and he's got some balls to come defend his position against the angry old men of NANOG.  Perhaps the approach of attacking DHCP is not the right one, but it sounds like his goal is to make IPv6 better than how IPv4 turned out.

Things like privacy extensions, multiple addresses and PD are great because they make it harder for people to do address based tracking, which is generally regarded as a desirable feature except by the people who want to do the tracking.  DHCPv6 is a crutch that allows operators to simply implement IPv6 with all the same hacks as IPv4 and continue to do address based access control, tracking, etc.  It's like a 'goto' statement - it can be used to do clever things, but it can also be used to hack stuff and create very hard to fix problems down the road.  I think what Lorenzo is trying to do is to use his influence/position to forcefully prevent people from doing this, and while that may not be the most diplomatic way, I admire his courage in posting here and trying to reason with the mob.

-Laszlo