eBay is looking for network heavies...

charles at thefnf.org charles at thefnf.org
Thu Jun 11 15:17:12 UTC 2015

> As someone who is under 35, this comment strikes a chord with me. I
> started
> self-studying networking when I was 15ish, yet I had to wait until I
> was 26
> before I could get a full time job in the industry. I even had to move
> out
> of my home country. Getting a solid start in the industry was
> exceptionally
> hard, and I see no difference now.
>
> What I found is that back in early-mid 00's, the industry was a black
> box.
> Unless you knew someone inside of the industry, it was quite impossible
> get clear career advice on how to a) get an entry level (support) job
> and
> b) how to move out of the entry level into an engineering position. We
> still suffer this lack of clarity, and it's *hurting* us. We should ask
> ourselves when is the last time we provided career advice to someone
> who
> was under 20, and strive to help more teenagers onto the networking
> path.
> Someone once suggested that we go back to our high schools and talk to
> the
> kids about a career in IT to help give them insight into what we do,
> and
> hopefully win over more mind share.

Yes. This. Absolutely. I roped my wifes 9 year old nephew off his iPAD
last night and had him help me cable up my home lab (which is currently
at 3 racks, started at as an 1841/2924 in 2008.) He loved it. I was able
to teach him all about layer 1. That's how I started (at the bottom as a
gopher, pulling cables, racking gear and very hands on building out
systems and networks).  It helps to have passion/great attitude. That's
key. I've been in the industry 15 years and am still bright eyed/bushy
tailed every day (sure we all have bad days). So much to learn, to
experience, to play with, to say "hey, what's this do?". The
fundamentals haven't really changed, it's important to keep that in
mind.

To quote the magic school bus "make mistakes, get messy". (and
occasionally, I knew I should of stayed home today, when the pager goes
off. )

I've worked for Fox,Disney,IAC , consulted for various defense
contractors, mom/pop shops. Every day at those jobs, it could span from
helping a "newb" with something basic, to scaling up some of the worlds
most recognized brands or defending (or crafting) highly advanced
attacks. It's been fun.

Now days, I do.... security. Lots and lots of security.