eBay is looking for network heavies...

Ca By cb.list6 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 13:45:00 UTC 2015

On Wednesday, June 10, 2015, Alex White-Robinson <alexwr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Matthew Petach <mpetach at netflight.com <javascript:;>> wrote:
>
> > On a slightly different note, however--while it's good to
> > have an appreciation of the past and how we got here,
> > I think it's wise to also recognize we as an industry
> > have some challenges bringing new blood in--and
> > treating it too much like a sacred priesthood with
> > cabalistic knowledge and initiation rites isn't going
> > to help us bring new engineers into the field to
> > take over for us crusty old farts when our eyes
> > give out and we can't type into our 9600 baud
> > serial consoles anymore.
> >
> > Matt
> > CCOF #1999322002 [0]
>
> I've seen very little attention paid to junior talent in the last few
> years, and know a few people who would have been talented engineers that
> never got a chance to show it.
> They moved into other industries because of the lack of junior roles.
>
> I know very few people in network engineering that are under thirty, and
> not that many under thirty five.

My unscientific impression is that 90% of the neteng jobs are for senior
engineers on indeed.com with north of 5 years experience.

Going back to the OP, looking for network heavies.....

How do you get heavies if you don't grow a bench?

My $dayjob open reqs are definately all sr eng or above.  We have a decent
internship program, but far from sufficient to grow a bench