Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

George, Wes wesley.george at twcable.com
Wed Jun 10 21:56:10 UTC 2015

On 6/10/15, 5:27 PM, "Ted Hardie" <ted.ietf at gmail.com> wrote:

>>... and this argument has been refuted by the word "bridging."
>>

>​To repeat Valdis' question:​
>
>​And the router knows to send to the "front" address to reach the "back"
>> address, how, exactly? Seems like somebody should invent a way to
>>assign a
>> prefix to the front address that it can delegate to things behind it.
>>:)​

WG] I made reference to it in a previous message, but since the question
was repeated, I'll assume that was missed and repeat the answer. The
hypervisor folks seem to have figured this out so that it "just works"
without NAT, using virtual interfaces that have their own unique MAC
addresses so that they look like unique hosts to the network/DHCP server.
I'm using it on my FreeNAS (BSD) box at home with jails, and KVM supports
it, so chances are it wouldn't even be that hard to incorporate into
Android.

Thanks
Wes