Greenfield 464XLAT (In January)

Nicholas Warren nwarren at barryelectric.com
Wed Jun 10 20:22:28 UTC 2015

Sincere apologies if this e-mail is inappropriate for this audience,
We are (going to be) a startup ISP building a new network from the ground up. I was hoping I could get an opinion, or two, on how everyone feels about 464XLAT. I saw what everyone was saying about it in the 'Android doesn't support DHCPv6' discussion, but what about in the wireline side of things? The main reason we are even considering 464XLAT as opposed to dual-stack (the latter is, in my ignorant opinion, the better option.) is the fear of IPv4 depletion that we think might hit ARIN between now and the start of next year; causing us to pay a premium for IPv4 in the gray market. So I guess the real question here would be: is our fear real, or is it just bug on the wall? If our fear is real, what should we implement so that our users can still get to the v4 internet, are we even thinking soberly by suggesting 464XLAT?
Thanks,
- Nich