Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

Lorenzo Colitti lorenzo at colitti.com
Wed Jun 10 12:06:51 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 8:30 PM, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:

> Seems to me that N will vary depending on what you are trying to do.

Remember, what I'm trying to do is avoid user-visible regressions while
getting rid of NAT. Today in IPv4, tethering just works, period. No ifs, no
buts, no requests to the network. The user turns it on, and it works.
IPv4-only apps always work.

A model where the device has to request resources from the network before
enabling tethering, or before supporting IPv4-only apps, provides a much
worse user experience. The user might have to wait a long time, or the
operation might even fail.