Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Jun 10 12:03:47 UTC 2015

On Wed, 10 Jun 2015, Baldur Norddahl wrote:

> We use DHCPv6 to assign just one IP address to the CPE. This is because
> otherwise our routers do not know where to route the /48 that is also
> passed along with DHCPv6-PD.

If you use DHCPv6-PD you only need a LL address, you do not need a GUA
address. Yes, a GUA WAN address is nice for fault finding, shows up in
traceroute etc, but it's not needed. If your routers require a GUA WAN
address in order for DHCPv6-PD to work, then they're not standards
compliant.

> Apart from operational simplicity, we also do not want our routers to
> keep track of a million ND cache entries. Our system pushes that down to
> the CPE. In the network we only have one ND cache entry per customer.

Well, if you have a GUA /128, then you have two per customer (because
you'll have the LL one as well). If you didn't use the GUA address, you'd
only have one.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se