Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

Lorenzo Colitti lorenzo at colitti.com
Wed Jun 10 06:46:44 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 3:38 PM, Tony Hain <alh-ietf at tndh.net> wrote:I
claim that there is a platform bug, because there is never a reason to

> ignore the WiFi RA. Use the other flag to set a preference if that is
> needed, but ignoring the RA just breaks things in unexpected ways. LC has
> did a hand-wave that the "ignore RA" flag is needed for battery life, but
> beyond that we appear to be stuck in a world where Clueless OEMs believe in
> breaking one network when another might exist.

This is not how current Android works. Each network can run IPv4, IPv6 or
both independently of any other network. If you can reproduce this on a
device running current Android (preferably a Nexus device), please file a
bug.

There is indeed an issue with OEMs dropping RAs when the screen is off.
Because it is the OEM that provides the wifi firmware and not Android, it's
not really fair to say it's an Android bug. FWIW, recent Nexus devices do
not have that bug.