Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Jun 10 05:35:00 UTC 2015

On Tue, 9 Jun 2015, Jon Bane wrote:

> When I build something I want people to use, I tend to put in the
> features they need and want so they continue to use it.  It is crystal
> clear here and in the bug post, that people need DHCPv6 on WiFi. We
> don't need your guiding hand to protect us from ourselves.  We need the
> tools to manage our environments to meet our requirements, not yours.

What would you find acceptable behaviour from a device that finds itself
on a wifi network that only gives it a single DHCPv6 IA_NA ? That some
apps silently stop working because 464XLAT doesn't work, that it throws up
a splash screen for the user to say that the network its connected to
doesn't work, or that it just doesn't use this network and continues to
use cellular (basically like it would one where the connection manager
can't verify connectivity), and also that tethering won't work.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se