Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

Ca By cb.list6 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 05:28:19 UTC 2015

On Tuesday, June 9, 2015, Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com> wrote:

> On 06/09/2015 08:37 PM, Karl Auer wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2015-06-09 at 23:09 -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
>>
>>> How does the device ask for a *second* DHCPv6'ed address for tethering or
>>> whatever?
>>>
>> RFC 3315 says you just chuck in multiple IA_NA (or IA_TA) options. The
>> server will respond with multiple addresses.
>>
>> And if a device makes a second (, third, fourth, ..) request with a
>> different DUID, it'll get a second (,third, fourth,...) address oo, I
>> guess.
>>

> Wouldn't the right thing to do is have the provider support dhcp prefix
> delegation, and the tether can run
> dhcp for its clients? (or even slaac?)
>
> Mike

Well, the OP seems to be interested in campus wifi ... So perhaps we should
stick to that first

On the other thread, Randy said network operators use a lot of kinky knobs,
thats just how it is. If these guys want to run without SLAAC, they can do
that and know the outcome . It is just their kink.

I dont think andoid will change, and even if they did you will need to wait
5 yeara for theupgrade  cycle to push out old clients

CB