Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

Jon Bane jon at nnbfn.net
Wed Jun 10 03:26:01 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 8:14 PM, Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net> wrote:

> Once upon a time, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> said:
> > On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 12:59:47 +1000, Karl Auer said:
> > > Hope the question doesn't make me look like an idiot, but why does
> using
> > > stateful DHCPv6 mean having to go back to NAT?
> >
> > How does the device ask for a *second* DHCPv6'ed address for tethering or
> > whatever?
>
> It's called "bridging".  Let whatever is being tethered ask directly for
> its own address.
> --
> Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>

Bridging, DHCP-PD, virtual Interfaces,DHCPv6 first and then when tethering
is turned on, enable SLAAC for the additional interfaces or go to the
extremes and modify DHCP.  Lots of ways to supply multiple addresses to an
interface that don't involve ignoring 1/2 of the addressing standard.

DHCPv6 - RFC3315 - Category: Standards Track
464XLAT - RFC6877 - Category: Informational

Just for perspective on what the which should be a priority.