eBay is looking for network heavies...

Stephen Satchell list at satchell.net
Tue Jun 9 05:34:56 UTC 2015

On 06/08/2015 07:34 PM, shawn wilson wrote:
> On Jun 8, 2015 10:11 PM, "Shane Ronan" <shane at ronan-online.com> wrote:
>

>> Certs have ruined the industry.
>
> Certs have made the industry more interesting. After all, without certs,
> we'd have less stupid to point at and laugh (or scream). And HR screeners
> would need to know something about the position they're screening.

I think that some people here don't realize just who benefits from
vendor-specific certifications.  It's the *vendors*.  It's why companies
like Microsoft, Red Hat, Cisco, Juniper, &c spend the money to develop
certification programs:  to ensure there are a pool of people who can
effectively use [some of] their products without having to call
technical support all the time.

Certification programs are expensive, time- and resource-intensive, and
a pain to keep up to date as products mature and grow.  The job is even
more of a pain when large companies like Cisco end up buying other
companies to add their products to the Cisco line to allow customers to
solve particular problems and "stay in the family".

It's like a tech business wanting to locate in places like San Jose,
Cambridge, or Autin...because that's where they can find workers ready
to slot into their game.  Vendors like to have a large enough certified
people so that management can feel comfortable buying vendor hardware
and software -- it reduces risk for both customer *and* vendor.

Reduced risks means more profits.  For everyone.