eBay is looking for network heavies...

Jeroen van Aart jeroen at mompl.net
Tue Jun 9 00:10:25 UTC 2015

On 06/05/2015 06:38 PM, Mike Hale wrote:
> We need a pool on what percentage of readers just googled traceroute.

You sort of nailed it though. I think ready knowledge about the
internals of utilities such as traceroute or ping is nice to have,
however if you don't know it it is not something that should disqualify
you as an expert or someone with advanced knowledge in the field.

Don't learn by heart that which you can look up. In this day and age
where knowledge about every subject imaginable is a 5 second (to a
minute for those less versed in researching) internet search away there
is no need to hold all that knowledge iny our memory.

What is far more important (above and beyond the basic skills) is the
ability to research quickly, find out the answers you are looking for
and apply them in a timely manner. It is actually not easy, because much
to my dismay I have found out that so many people, whether they have a
phd, or are the airco repair person, have such inability to even use the
most basic research tools. It makes you feel like a search engine by
proxy. :-(

Greetings,
Jeroen

--