eBay is looking for network heavies...

Eugeniu Patrascu eugen at imacandi.net
Sun Jun 7 16:42:53 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 6:57 PM, Peter Kristolaitis <alter3d at alter3d.ca>
wrote:

> In many ways, certification tracks are something like getting a PhD.
> Completely useless information (and very few skills) to anything you'll do
> in the "real world", but if it makes your clock tick, go for it.  Just
> don't expect me to be impressed when I'm interviewing you, because it has
> no direct relationship with your ability to do this job.

Certs are a good way to get selected by the HR people and have your CV
forwarded to the people that will actually do the interviewing part. Some
companies actually put out job listings with required mandatory
certifications so from their point of view, you only qualify if you have a
piece of paper saying that you know X,Y,Z.

> My favourite question to ask candidates during an interview is "Tell me
> about a cool technology project you've done outside of work."   I don't
> even really care what the answer is, it's more about "do they get revved up
> while they're talking about it?"

Cool idea, never thought of this type of questions when gauging peoples
interest in motivation and the desire to learn.

Eugeniu